Position: Research and Outreach Assistant
Salary: $18.00 per hour, part-time (15 hours per week), non-exempt
WHO WE ARE
The Montana Racial Equity Project (MTREP), a 501c3 nonprofit, advocates equity and justice for historically and currently disenfranchised and oppressed peoples in Montana. We lift the voices and elevate the agency of Black, Brown, Indigenous, and other People of Color primarily through education, training, and activating antiracist organizers, leaders, individuals, groups, organizations, institutions, etc. At MTREP, we invest in interrupting racism, bigotry, and prejudice whenever and wherever encountered, particularly through education reform, criminal-legal reform, health and well-being reform, community engagement, equity and inclusion outreach and consulting, and soon-to-be justice in and for the environment.
We value diversity and strive to live an anti-racist existence. People who can speak to their lived experience around racial inequity, oppression, and institutional and systemic racism are strongly encouraged to apply. We are excited to work with someone who can continue turning our mission into reality. You will be joining a highly skilled BIPOC staff embedded in multiple identities and communities; ours is a welcoming, supportive, and affirming space.
*Due to COVID-19, this job will be fully or partially remote until further notice. While in our office or during external business meetings, safety protocols must be followed.
Reporting to the Deputy Director, the Research and Outreach Assistant is responsible for project and outreach development, research, planning, execution, and evaluation on volunteer management and around issues of policing, health, education reform, LGBTQIA2s+, and other areas to be determined. This is a part-time, non-exempt position. Salary is $18.00 per hour.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Develop and conduct research projects around policing, health/allostatic load, education reform, QT BIPOC, and other areas to be determined. The Research Associate will work with the Deputy Director to prioritize areas of work and identify appropriate mechanisms for conveying research results. Prioritization will occur on a monthly basis with updates on a weekly basis or more regularly as necessary.
· Develop and manage an intake system for volunteer management, working with MTREP staff and volunteers.
· Adhere to MTREP policies and procedures.
· Develop and maintain productive relationships with MTREP staff and volunteers, as well as other agencies, student groups, schools and colleges/universities that provide education and racial equity services, and the general public.
· Represent and advocate for MTREP in the community, demonstrate competence as an information source about MTREP.
· Other job-related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Experience in volunteering, planning, research, and organizing is very helpful.
· Passion for the mission and values of MTREP. A personal connection to the communities we serve is strongly desired.
· Ethical and responsible approach to work in a professional setting.
· Commitment to developing and maintaining key relationships. Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with internal and external collaborators including staff, board, and community partners to develop and implement organizational strategies.
· Leadership and time management skills; ability to inspire, coach, and support a committed team to achieve goals.
· Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment while juggling multiple critical priorities.
· Commitment to continuous learning, personal and professional growth, and principles of race and social justice.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to use technology to achieve goals. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, Canva, Adobe DC, Slack, and social media.
· Must be able to work a flexible schedule that includes some evening and weekends. Access to reliable transportation to support events, attend off-site meetings, etc.
· Must pass MTREP background check requirements and have a valid driver license and up-to-date vehicle insurance.
The person in this position reports directly to the Deputy Director and works collaboratively with MTREP staff, consultants, and outside collaborators as assigned. This position may involve driving long distances, some nights away from home, and requires the willingness to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends.
LEVEL OF INDEPENDENT DISCRETION, CONSEQUENCE OF ACTIONS
This person, within the parameters of MTREP policies and procedures, exercises a high level of independence in decision making. Significant errors in judgment may endanger the health and safety of the staff and may cause serious financial and/or legal repercussions for MTREP.
This work requires due diligence to avoid, manage, and/or resolve threatening or dangerous circumstances. Exposure to difficult situations and emotionally taxing and triggering circumstances may be encountered.
HOW TO APPLY
Email pdf of cover letter and résumé to email@example.com with “Research/Outreach” in subject line. Position open until filled.