ABOUT THE MONTANA RACIAL EQUITY PROJECT
The Montana Racial Equity Project (MTREP) is a non-profit and non-partisan organization that works with individuals, groups, organizations, educational institutions, and businesses to promote and create opportunities to build equity and justice in Montana. Founded in 2015, the mission of MTREP is to advocate equity and justice for historically marginalized, disenfranchised, and oppressed peoples in Montana. To achieve this mission, MTREP educates, trains, and activates organizers, individuals, groups, organizations, institutions, and businesses to invest in interrupting racism, bigotry, and prejudice whenever encountered. MTREP engages in a broad variety of projects including hosting book clubs, workshops, and community forums as well as providing teaching, advocacy, and consulting services to community groups and organizations.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Montana Racial Equity Project (MTREP) is seeking a passionate, dedicated, collaborative, and visionary professional to assume leadership of the organization by serving as the next Executive Director. The Executive Director (ED) is responsible for fulfilling MTREP’s mission by providing leadership, direction, and oversight to all areas of the organization.
The Executive Director will oversee the development and implementation of a new strategic plan (including reviewing operations, communications, marketing, and community outreach), make key strategic decisions, drive fundraising, oversee programmatic strategy, and ensure financial stability and growth while managing high-level relationships. MTREP is poised to expand and focus its programming to continue supporting historically marginalized, disenfranchised, and oppressed peoples in the state, and is looking for the right person to lead the team in that endeavor. This full-time salaried position reports directly to the Board of Directors. The preference is for the candidate to be based in or near Bozeman; however, the Board of Directors is open to candidates based in other locations in Montana.
This role will be a hybrid role requiring a minimum of 2 days in the office each week.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Executive Director provides leadership to sustain and grow all functions of the organization through the completion of the duties outlined below:
ORGANIZATIONAL CULTURE AND STRATEGY
● Oversee organizational growth, and transition from the founder to the next phase of the organization development
● Foster a collaborative, transparent, and caring organizational culture
● Build an organization committed to fully utilizing the strengths of staff, volunteers, and other stakeholders.
● Develop and implement a new organizational strategy, clarifying yearly goals and objectives
● Establish and maintain MTREP’s reputation and standing with a diverse audience by being active and visible with state goals and initiatives (with funders, government, and peer organizations)
● Ensure timely development and execution of impact evaluation
DEVELOPMENT AND FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
● Hold responsibility for the fiscal health, management, and sustainability of an annual budget and quarterly financial statements to the Board
● Oversee the annual audit, annual benefit process, annual appeal, and the development of the organization’s annual report
● Lead the cultivation of new fundraising prospects in philanthropy, corporate partners, government partners, individual donors, and major gifts, as well as the growth of existing funder relationships
● Supervise and mentor the Development & Communications Manager and be actively involved in deepening relationships with key funders
GOVERNANCE AND BOARD RELATIONS
● Communicate effectively with the Board and provide, in a timely and accurate manner, information necessary for the Board to function properly, make informed decisions, solicit feedback, and secure commitments
● Hold responsibility for the operations of the Board of Directors, supporting Board member recruitment, training, and development
● Working with the Board chairperson, assist with Board meetings: set the tone, direction, and agenda for each meeting
● Work with the Board of Directors to develop organizational priorities through a collaborative and transparent process
● Lead the development of the annual programmatic strategy; manage the Program team to design program models and plan annual calendar
● Identify opportunities for expansion, replication, and leverage to increase impact of programs and staff
● Oversee the execution of high-quality, mission-aligned programs
● Cultivate, manage, and steward high-level relationships with community leaders, government partners, and peer organizations
● Supervise and mentor the Programming team.
● Support the development of and approve the annual Communications plan
● Ensure external communications uphold MTREP brand, tone, and quality standards
● Promote MTREP’s programs and thought leadership through media relations, public speaking, and digital content
The successful candidate will be a champion of MTREP’s mission and goals, a steward of organizational values, and a capable leader of staff and Board. They will possess the following essential qualifications:
● Preferred senior management experience in the social justice/nonprofit sector.
● Excellent organizational management skills with the ability to coach, manage, and develop high-performing staff.
● Deep knowledge of racial equity and social justice principles and practices, with experience in organizational implementation, including a nuanced understanding of the assets and needs of BIPOC communities in Montana and other rural areas.
● Demonstrated ability to develop and implement creative and comprehensive approaches to fundraising.
● Experience developing and monitoring an organizational budget. Working knowledge of nonprofit financial systems.
● Experience cultivating and supporting a Board of Directors.
● Experience managing high-level/high-profile relationships with corporate and government leaders, funders, and movement leaders preferred. Preferred experience working with municipalities, counties, and the state in social change.
● Proven ability to set and achieve strategic objectives.
● Critical thinking ability for high level planning, analyzing, and problem solving.
● Excellent communications and interpersonal skills.
● Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to planning.
● Relationship-focused. Ability to effectively listen and collaborate with diverse groups of people internally and externally.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary range for the Executive Director position is $100,000 - $120,000, along with a competitive benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY
MTREP has retained Morten Group, LLC to conduct this search.
Applicants should complete the form available HERE including the submission of a cover letter and resume in PDF format. Cover letters will be evaluated as a writing sample. For best consideration, applications should be received by Tuesday, October 4 2022. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
MTREP is committed to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. MTREP does not discriminate against any individual based upon their race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, disability, involvement with the justice system, or immigration status in recruitment, employment, promotion, demotion, termination, job assignments, training, rate of pay or other compensation, or other terms and conditions of employment. Applicants from historically under-represented communities, including but not limited to BIPOC communities, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities and women, are strongly encouraged to apply.